Thursday, June 22, 2006

A rite of spring lost: Anthony's Italian Ice

You always knew when spring had come--his red cart and umbrella would be by the tennis courts on Bunkerhill. Last year, after the Park was landscaped, he moved up there. I always ordered watermelon, if he had it. He always would warn me of pits. Which is how you knew it was the real deal.

Every day, on the way to and from work, I drive by where his truck used to be every sunny day from May to September. There is a small memorial there.

He died in March. On May 6, 2006 Brian O'Neill wrote a column in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about him.

If the citizens of Dormont can get their pool back, can't the citizens of Highland Park put up a more lasting memorial to this man?

Where his cart would be. The trash can where you'd put your cup and spoon when done.
The stairs where people would sit, eating. I remember one Sunday whilst in library school hanging out on the stairs with a few friends.

Anthony would be on the phone.

The tallest building in Highland Park. I've heard that from the 22nd floor you can see the elephants.

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Wow, that's so weird. I was just thinking the other day as I was taking my power walk that they ought to put up a memorial to Tony. There is a huge stand of yellow flowers right at the park's gate entrance, is the photograph of the sign a reference to those? They are beautiful flowers. Can the Neighborhood Association have a fundraiser so we could build a small memorial? And what would that entail? That spot by the park entrance statues sure looks empty without Tony there......I miss him :(

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that it's summer, I'm really missing Tony. His ice was the best, and he was a great guy. Some thing you never expect to go away, but things don't work that way...unfortunately, this was one of them that went away far too early.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home